Hi everyone, Happy Monday :/
With tomorrow being Fat Tuesday, I wanted to provide my followers with a delicious, simple, and festive recipe. I made a delicious and easy red beans and rice recipe that if you don’t have a meal planned for tomorrow would be perfect for the holiday!
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package andouille chicken sausage (or whatever andouille sausage you prefer), sliced 1/4″-1/2″ thick
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans red beans, drained and rinsed
- 4-6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 tsp fresh-cracked pepper
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I used a pinch, as I’m 35 weeks pregnant and get horrible heartburn :))
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 cups minute white rice (or any rice you prefer)
- Heat 2-3 Tbsp olive oil in a large stock pot on medium-high heat. Add and brown andouille sausage once oil is hot.
- Add additional 2-3 Tbsp olive oil and add onions and garlic. Sauté until they are translucent and soft. Add celery and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add red beans and chicken broth and stir. Add in black pepper, salt, basil, sage, bay leaves, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- After it has simmered, take out 1/2 cup of the red beans and mash and return to pot to help thicken. Add green onions. If consistency is too thick, add additional 1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth. Continue to simmer for 15 more minutes. At this point, start making your rice so that they are ready at the same time.
- Remove bay leaves, serve over rice, and enjoy!
Let me know what you think!